Chris Clark’s Duntroon history – published in 1986 – has just been republished – as the attached 90-second Youtube video highlights: https://youtu.be/3mP_CixW4Wk.
Payment. The update called for final payments to cover the Drinks and/or Dinner to be made by 28 October. The total cost is $130 per head for the dinner, and $30 per head for the drinks – a total of $160 per head if you are attending both.
Please note that many of you have made an earlier deposit, so we are only asking for whatever is outstanding to cover the cost of the events you wish to attend.
Dietary Requirements. We have not previously asked for dietary requirements for you or your partner. The menu may change but currently the offering is as follows:
Prawn and Avacado Salad or
Pork Belly with Pumpkin Puree, Cous Cous & jus
Chicken Stuffed with Ricotta and Spinach, Celeriac Mash, Dutch Carrots and Mushroom Sauce or
Grilled Angus Steak, Field Mushrooms, Lentils, Baby Carrot and Red Wine jus
Crème Brulee, Caramel Popcorn, Cookie Dust and Cream or
Pavlova, Berry Compote and Passionfruit Coulis
Please advise if there are any gluten free, vegan, vegetarian or other requirements so that we can advise the hotel and arrange alternatives.
Glassware. A batch of the stemless wine glasses have arrived – intact – in Canberra and will be distributed from there for Canberra-based classmates. The glassware for Sydney and Brisbane classmates should be there soon if not already arrived.
I will hold glasses for out of town or overseas classmates.
RMC Museum. At my earlier meeting with a museum staff member I understood that a copy of your personal file could be made available to you. I am unable, as I understand it, to collect on your behalf. I will check back and confirm this.
I obtained a copy of mine several years ago by writing to the College.
Our 50 year reunion is fast approaching – we are well within 100 days to go!
Notification of Attendance
Thank you for previously providing an indicative intention to attend events, as this has helped our planning. We now need you to let us know more definitely your intentions as we are starting to finalise bookings.
To that end could you please advise by Friday 7 October to email@example.com whether you are Definitely coming to each of these four events: Saturday Night Drinks, Sunday lunch at the Arboretum, Monday Night Dinner and Graduation Parade? It is important that you include whether you will be accompanied by a partner.
We are asking if you wish to attend lunch at the Arboretum on the Sunday because numbers will determine whether we seek a booking, or just take pot luck if the numbers are small.
Drinks and Dinner
We are now calling for final payments to cover the Drinks and/or Dinner to be made by 28 October. The total cost is $130 per head for the dinner, and $30 per head for the drinks – a total of $160 per head if you are attending both.
Note that the Drinks includes canapes from 1830 until 2230, with drinks bought individually over the bar while the dinner includes a drinks package and a three-course meal from 1830 until 2230.
We are now asking for full payment of any outstanding amounts by Friday 28 October.
Please transfer funds to Kym MacMillan’s Bahamas Holiday Account. Bank details are as follows: BSB: 06 2692 Acct No: 4995 6261 Name: Reunion Please clearly identify your deposit with your name. For overseas classmates, we are happy for you to hold off on remitting your amount if that is an easier option: just let Kym know (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Memorabilia orders have been placed with the glasses to be sent to three locations for distribution: Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra. Peter Martyn, Maurie Meecham and David Cran will be the ‘distributors for those three locations, and the latter will hold all other glasses for the other recipients. For those who have ordered a cap and aren’t attending, we will post it to you.
If you’ve made an order and haven’t already done so, please transfer funds as soon as possible to Kym MacMillan’s Bahamas Holiday Account, details as above.
A proposal for a ‘Back to Araluen’ event has been made, but will not be centrally coordinated. Pat Cullinan has offered to be the POC/organiser for this, so if you’re interested, contact him – his details are on the website at https://duntroonclassof1972.com/2022/09/17/tom-and-pats-araluen-plan-come-join-us/
Contact has been made with an RMC Chaplain about the Graduation Church Service, but no detail as yet.
Planning for the College tour on the Monday morning are well under way, and a brief on the current training program has been requested – should be interesting to see what has changed: and what hasn’t. The museum is currently quite small and very generic, so will not take a long time to visit: unless you become engrossed in your file! Please let us know if you’d like access to your file at email@example.com
If you would care to organise other events (golf, shopping, Canberra attractions tours etc), please let us know and we’ll pass on the information to the classmates.
Steve Jones has put his hand up to organise golf on the Monday (noting that it will need to fit in between the RMC tour and the dinner!)
A more detailed program of all events will be published in due course.
Work on the book is proceeding. We plan to distribute the ebook version prior to the reunion, and (fingers crossed) have the hard copy available at the event. The cost for the book will be advised, and orders sought, in due course.
Please advise (and action as applicable) by 7 October the following:
- Attendance of you (and partner if applicable) at Saturday Drinks and/or Monday Dinner.
- Attendance of you (and partner if applicable) at the Graduation Parade.
- Attendance (and partner if applicable) at Arboretum on Sunday.
- Do you wish to view or have a copy of your RMC personal file?
Please make payment of outstanding amounts for Drinks and Dinner by 28 October. For any queries of outstanding amounts contact Kym at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom, Pat and their wives Margo and Sharon will meet at the Araluen Hotel midday on Thurs 08 Dec ’22 for lunch at 1230 Hrs followed by drinks and coffee. We will go in one car departing Canberra at 1030 on 08 Dec and return to Canberra by 1800hrs same day.
Classmates, family and friends are very welcome to join us.
Some relevant comments;
- Araluen Hotel Webpage. Put Araluen Hotel, Araluen NSW into your web browser. Looking at the Araluen Hotel webpage (the Hotel now sometimes called the Araluen Valley Hotel), looks the same as it did 50 years ago. (This is not a criticism, just a comment). The webpage is worth a glance to get a general idea of the Hotel today. It would appear to be a good place to have a meal and a beer or three.
- Driving Canberra (RMC Duntroon) to Araluen (via Braidwood) is approx. 115 km and takes about one and a half hours each way. The road is bitumen all the way with a pretty steep descent into Araluen (from Canberra). (Numerous roads from Araluen to other places such as Moruya are dirt).
- Opening hours. The hotel opens midday Wed to Sun (inclusive). Lunches are from 12 to 2pm and Dinner 6 to 8pm. The Hotel is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Norm is the Hotel Manager (02) 4846 4023. I rang Norm the other day and said that a number of us were looking at coming to the Hotel on 8 Dec. Norm said that he has put 12 of us ‘in the book’ for lunch but said that bookings are ‘first in best dressed’ and required a 50 % deposit (which I think mainly referred to accommodation bookings). He said that due to a constantly changing Menu, he couldn’t send one now but could nearer the date.
- Accommodation. 10 rooms being a mix of single, double and family. A free continental breakfast is provided to all lodgers. Book ASAP if required.
Sooooo, we’d love anyone interested to join us for lunch at Araluen Hotel on Thurs 08 Dec noting the following;
- Transport to and from the Araluen Hotel is own means,
- Accommodation if required is a personal responsibility (please ring Norm on 02-4846 4023), and finally, if coming please
- Contact Pat Cullinan (details below) by 31 Oct 2022. As Tom is overseas and I am in Canberra, I’m acting as the Araluen POC. In November, I will do final checks with Norm, discuss pooling of vehicles if applicable and send out Menus etc.
If only Tom and I from the Class are there, we won’t sulk, but rather, we will raise a glass to all those who were here in the pub with us 50 years ago.
Regards to all,
0457 888 707.
The SEQ/Northern NSW team enjoyed lunch with David and Trish at The Ship Inn on 7th September. Great to catch up David and Trish…
A few of us enjoyed a catch-up with Denis on Friday at The Ship Inn. Good lunch and many memories shared…
A message from Kevin Hindle’s daughter Georgia, says in part: “I would like to extend an invitation to whoever from his class would like to attend his wake which will take place later this year either in the end of November or the beginning of December.” I will post further details as they come to hand.
Sad news – Kevin passed away peacefully on Wednesday evening.
Message from Maurie Meecham,
David and Trish Cran are passing through Brisbane so I thought it would be a good opportunity for our next lunch. Mac is away that week so I will coord the day.
David is on the organising committee for the Reunion in December so it will be a good opportunity to ask him any questions and to provide feedback on what is already published.
In view of the success of the last lunch at The Ship Inn (Southbank), we will meet there again at 12:30hrs on Wednesday 7th September. Meals and drinks are ordered individually over the bar and I will organise an area for us to sit together as we did last time.
Hope you all can make it.
Please RSVP to my email, not the website, by the end of the month so I can estimate numbers.
Mob: 0418 761 944