Many thanks to the individuals and regional groupings that have provided suggestions and advice on the reunion next year. We seem to be mostly in broad agreement, which makes planning and decision making easier. The Canberra planning team met on Wednesday 7 July to start to firm up the program.
There are a few steps still being taken:
- A letter is being drafted to the COMDT RMC asking for specific support and/or access, viz: a tour of the College, visit to the Australian Army Museum-Duntroon, brief on the College today (all probably Mon 12 Dec); priority seating at the Grad Pde and access to MT at Duntroon House after (Tues 13 Dec).
- Several hotels have been approached for room rates and costs for a cocktail party and a sit-down dinner. At this stage the Canberra Rex has the running with indicative and competitive costs being:
- Room rate – $145;
- Note: Canberra based member may wish to book a room for either or both of the two nights.
- Drinks in a dedicated bar on Sat 10 Dec: $30 per head for canapes (ie a meal prob not required later!), drinks purchased individually over the bar;
- Sit-down dinner in the Ballroom on Mon 12 Dec – $117 per head including a drinks selection (beer, wine, soft drinks).
- Approaches have been made to the RMC Chaplains re access to the Service on Sunday 11 Dec – no response as yet.
- A dedicated bus for some activities is being explored.
- Possibility of having a small band/group to play some of the 60s and 70s music of our era during the sit-down dinner – concept still being developed!
The program is starting to firm up, as much as it can this far out, and looks something like this:
- Friday 9 Dec – self-funded informal drinks possibly at the Kingo or Olims for those who arrive early (and Canberra based) – this will not be ‘formally’ organised;
- Saturday – Cocktail drinks 6-10 pm;
- Attendance at the RMC Chapel Worship Service on an individual basis;
- A Remembrance event for deceased classmates, either on Mt. Pleasant or at the Changi Chapel in the RMC grounds;
- Brunch at the Arboretum (an indication of numbers closer to the date will be called for in order to book an area, but it would also be self funded);
- Monday – Tour of RMC, Museum etc
- Monday – ‘Formal’ dinner 7-11 pm;
- Tuesday – Parade, Morning Tea.
Tony McKenna has volunteered to coordinate the collection of information and collation of same into a ‘book’ to record the passing years. More to follow as the template is refined.